I will self-love me!

I wrote Little Girls and Their Ponytails to teach girls to love who they are. I also created the ponytails pageant and Beautiful and Wonderful Me Workshop for that same reason. Girls deserve to love who they are no matter what. Self-love is important. Girls need to know that we change. We grow, we get big, small, we have blemishes; we have up days, down days, natural days, make-up days, glamorous moments, and sweat pants hair in a ponytail or in a puff days. We have to love ourselves on EVERY one of those days. I wrote this story because I have looked in the mirror a time or two wondering what someone else would think if I wore this or changed my hair like that. I spent a bit of time with the oppression of those insecurities and I don’t want girls to spend as much time in that space. So I teach self-love but first I decided to love me on all of my days and in all of my ways. Changing, nipping, tucking, straightening, or pulling still won’t be good enough for those with a skewed perspective of beauty. So no matter what changes or does not change…I will self-love me!

Be Beautiful,

Katherine White

2yrs ago book signing

Teach Self-love…

I firmly believe that a foundation of self-love is essential for life. I had the pleasure of spending the last few months with a group of girls, ages 4-11yrs old, who attended the Beautiful and Wonderful Me Workshop. I typically open the sessions by asking the girls their name, their Happy Word (chosen in the 1st session), and what they love most about themselves. In the first session girls were either unsure or answered with shoes or a piece of clothing instead of a personal characteristic. In the last session 95% of the girls said they loved their hair most and the other 5% still chose something like their smile or eyes. Absolutely beautiful! Huge difference…Self-love is taught and unfortunately so is self-hate often through silence. I am grateful that we were able to teach self-love through these sessions. During the Beautiful and Wonderful Me Workshop we saturate girls with self-love, true beauty, and affirmations from music choices to dialogue, activities, and décor. All of this helps to shape her view of herself to love everything about who she is! We did it! I am so excited for these beautiful and wonderful girls. How will you teach self-love today?